Bronson has now been on the waiting list for a liver for just over 24 hours. Jon and I met with the transplant team today and, over 2.5 hours, we were given a lot of information. Bronson has two options… waiting for a liver from someone who has passed away, or, having a live donor. For Bronson to receive a liver from someone who has passed away it can be up to a two year wait. With a live donor the wait can be a minimum of 3 days and up. We’re going to explore the possibility of whether or not I would qualify to be a donor because I have the same blood type as Bronson but, because I gave birth only 7 weeks ago I might not be able to.
In our meeting we were told that the success rates for liver transplants are normally quite high, however, with Bronson’s neuroblastoma it complicates things. Even though his neuroblastoma is currently under control it still plays a part in the recovery and how the body may or may not take to a new organ. With a liver transplant Bronson would be on medication for the rest of his life and small things, such as chicken pox, would be a huge concern and he would have to be hospitalized and monitored. Obviously, it’s a huge surgery and has risks but it would also clear up the majority of his current problems almost immediately. I guess it’s like trading one set of concerns for a new set.
Bronson’s abdomen is even bigger today. Last night Bronson had to have a respiratory therapist come and assess him because his breathing was getting quite a bit more laboured. He had to have his oxygen turned up quite a bit in order for him to be able to breathe comfortably. Throughout the day he’s remained on the same amount of O2 and hasn’t needed any adjustments yet. If his breathing continues to get worse they will consider draining some fluid in his abdomen through a tap. But, that will have a high risk of infection which we don’t need right now. If Bronson were to develop an infection he would have to be put on hold for the liver transplant until the infection cleared. So we really don’t want any chances of infection!
I am still praying for Bronson’s liver to start working… but, at the same time, I’m also praying for the right donor to be found. It’s a weird place to be in… I don’t want someone else’s loved one to pass away but, I don’t want Bronson to get worse and have other complications. So as we figure things out with a live donor I pray that Bronson will remain stable and will continue to hold his ground.