Bronson has been having some difficulty breathing the last few days because of all pressure from the fluid that’s re-accumulated in his stomach. He’s most likely having an abdominal tap again today to drain some of the fluid. Once that’s done he should be able to breath a lot easier. Over the weekend there was a bit of concern that he had an infection starting and they took blood cultures to confirm. It’s almost been 48 hours and they’re still negative… So that’s a very good sign! (they don’t officially say he’s clear until the cultures have had 48 hours to grow anything). He just has to remain infection free and stable until his transplant is done.
As you know, after 3-4 weeks of waiting for Bronson’s liver to start functioning it was decided that he needs a liver transplant and he was placed on the waiting list. In the meantime, we have been looking at our options to have a live donor be a match for him.
Last week my sister began the process of becoming a live donor for Bronson and had 16 vials of blood taken, an MRI, CT scan, and X-rays done. They told us they wouldn’t know the final verdict of whether or not she was a match until after the weekend. After a very looonnngg weekend of waiting we found out today she’s a match!!!! We officially have a live liver donor!! There are still a few small things that have to be done but if all goes according to plan the transplant could be done in the next 1-2 weeks (depending on available OR time).
Over the weekend I was trying to not let myself get too excited in case things didn’t work out… but now I’m allowed to jump around if I want to! I can’t express how thankful I am for what my sister is going to do for my little boy… She’s saving his life.
As I write this on my iPhone my adorable little Bronson is sleeping peacefully in my arms and all I can think about is how blessed he is (and we are) to have his aunt be a match and be his liver donor. It’s only 11am and we’ve already had great news today… I hope the rest of the day continues to be just as good! 🙂