I love cabbage rolls but I didn’t want to spend the time making them so I found an easy casserole version instead!
Cabbage Roll Casserole
|I took so many pictures but none of them were very good. I promise that it was very tasty!|
You can find the original recipe HERE. I changed it a little bit and this is what I did:
1 lb ground pork
4 slices bacon
1 cup chopped onion
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 chopped cabbage
1 cup uncooked rice
2 cups of water
A couple shakes of pepper
A couple shakes of a spice medley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a skillet brown pork until redness is gone. Add in 2 cups of water with pepper and a bit of salt and let simmer.
- In a separate skillet cook bacon to your liking (I did mine crispy).
- In a large mixing bowl combine onion, tomato sauce, cabbage, chopped bacon, rice, and salt. Add meat and mix together.
- Pour mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish. Bake in preheated oven, covered for 1 hour.
- Stir, replace cover and bake for another 30 minutes.
I also ended up mixing 1/2 cup tomato juice and 1/2 cup water together and poured it over the casserole after it had cooked for 1 hour. I found it was a little bit dry and needed a little extra juice in it.
My casserole turned out delicious and I can’t wait to eat the leftovers for lunch today! 🙂